Monday, May 23, 2011

Assignment 1 -- Final Images



1. Composition
A. Photographer's proximity to subject: I placed the camera close to the subjects, but decided on a     place where the layer in between me and the subjects would be evident.  I wanted the viewer to be able to see the dogs, but also that there was a layer between us, as noted by the fog and drool present on the window. This way I could get close, but not uncomfortably close since there was a barrier in between us. I wanted to emphasize the qualities of the dogs, both their differences and their similarities in this case. This is true for the other dog picture as well, except in that case I was more focused on emphasizing differences.
B. Sharpness and Blur: To me, the fog and drool on the window provides an interesting exploration in that it is a different kind/layer of blur.  The dogs are in focus, except for where the fog and drool cloud our vision. It was important to me to keep the dogs sharply in focus, so the environment behind them is not sharply in focus because it is not as important.
C. Perspective and Point of View: The perspective and point of view is from straight on.  I wanted to capture them from straight on so that the viewer felt that they were on the same level as the subjects.  Also, I thought that a straight on view would make an easier juxtaposition, because the dogs would be in focus and the eye could more easily focus on the two main subjects. Looking back, maybe I should have explored and tried different angles to see what they would have added to the juxtaposition.

2. Concept, Motivations, and Method
This image is about observing the two subjects and juxtaposing them -- noting their similarities and differences.  In creating this image, I wanted to convey my love of dogs by capturing their personalities.  In this picture, I wanted to show their similarities and differences, while the other picture of the dogs focuses more on their differences.  In order to create the image, I photographed the subjects from the outside of the door window, creating a layer between me and them.  In doing so, I had to work around the reflections in the window.

3. Context 
I think that this image deals with dogs and their personalities, as well as the qualities we as humans attribute to them.  I like to capture the visible emotions and characteristics of dogs. I was inspired and influenced by the photographer Tim Flach's work in the book Dogs.

4. Interpretation
Others interpreted this image as an interesting photograph because of the fog and drool evident on the window, as well as the layer that creates between the photographer and subject. The other photograph of the dogs was viewed as a juxtaposition between the two dogs and their two personalities or attitudes. 

5. Evaluation
Based on the critique, I think that the other image of the dogs may be more successful in creating a juxtaposition between the two subjects.  I think that this one is successful in exploring layers and sharpness and blur. Although personally, whenever I see something as similar as these two dogs, I find my eye moving around and looking for all of the differences, even if they are small. So maybe I could have captured them in a way that would have made that easier.

6. Extension
I am interested in dogs and capturing their emotions and personalities.  I would use this in a series of images of these subjects and other subjects to further my idea. 










1. Composition
A. Framing: In the frame, I decided to not include the entire flower. I thought it was important compositionally to capture it off center, with part of the flower out of the frame. I did this to emphasize the movement of the petals and the bold contrast between the flower and the background elements. 
B. Background Elements: The most important and prominent aspects of this picture is the flower and its petals. I decided to make the background blurry because it was not a focal point. However, in doing so, the background plays an important role because its darker tone provides a great contrast to the brightness of the white flower. Even though the background is blurred, it is still evident that there are leaves and organic forms, which is important to the emphasis on nature and movement. 
C. Sharpness and Blur: I wanted to keep the petals of the flower in front sharp in order to emphasize movement and shape. Also, as noted in class, I wanted to try and look at the flower in a different way, so I focused on the petals instead of the middle. 

2. Concept, Motivations, and Method
To me, this image is about the beauty of nature and the celebration of summer. I have always loved the outdoors and have been interested in different types of flowers and their identification.  In particular, I think this is an appreciation of the shapes, forms, and movement that can be found in a flower. My goal was to capture the bold contrast of the flower against the darker background of a tree and leaves. The first flowers of summer are very bold as they pop up and stand out against leaves and other plants. To create this image, I went to the MSU botanical gardens to capture blooming flowers outside. I zoomed in on the flower and used depth of field to create emphasis and movement. I took several different pictures focusing on different areas of the flower, and found this to be the most effective.

3. Context
For this picture, I was inspired/influenced by the artwork of Georgia O'Keefe.  Looking at her work and love of flowers inspired me to capture the beauty of a flower in my own way. My work is different from her in that it may have a different meaning or goal. This pieces is about appreciating nature for its beauty and happiness that it can bring.

4. Interpretation 
Others interpreted my image as a different way of photographing a flower due to the focus on the petals and front of the image, rather then the middle of the flower. 

5. Evaluation
I think that the focus on the petals is working because it creates movement and is an unexpected focus. I also think that the contrast is working and allows the viewer to see the boldness of the flower.  Maybe there could be even more of a contrast, with the background made darker to really stand out even more. 

6. Extension
I think this would be a great jumping off point for a series or project on nature. I think it could go two ways -- I could use it as an opportunity to learn about different types of flowers or I could use it to focus on the beauty of nature and maybe how it is appreciated and not appreciated in our world today.





No comments:

Post a Comment