Thursday, June 9, 2011

Assignment 3 -- Final Images





1. Composition
A.Framing: In the bed typology photographs, I wanted to include enough information so that the viewer could tell that they are beds, and could distinguish how they are different types of beds. In the first photograph, I wanted to emphasize the clean lines, and neat state of the bed. In the second photograph, it looks lived in and used.  
B. Cropping: For both of the bed pictures, I chose to use a portrait orientation because I did not want to include a lot of background information. For the first photograph, I just wanted to capture the bed. For the second photograph, it is located in closet/laundry room, so I decided that I did not want include the surroundings. For both of these pictures, I thought what I did not include would emphasize the beds themselves and their details and differences. 
C. Focus: For both of these photographs, I wanted to keep both of the subjects in focus, once again, to emphasize the beds, their differences, contrast, patterns, and details. 

 2. Concept, Motivations, Method
For this typology, I wanted to capture many different types of beds and explore what is considered a bed to different people, and even animals. I wanted to juxtapose what a human bed may be against what humans chose for a dog, and how they are so different -- but are mostly for the same purpose. I photographed all of the beds without anyone in them, to capture them almost in a outsider way.

3. Context
 I think these images deal a lot with individuality -- an interest in other peoples intimate places and how they keep them. It also deals with a comparison between a human idea of a bed for themselves, and what they construct for a dog.

4. Interpretation
Students in the class saw this as my grandparents bed -- because of the neat and clean bedding and they said that the (accidental) coloration made it feel vintage.

5. Evaluation
I think this photography turned out well. I like the lines and contrast, and the clean and almost loneliness it gives off because of how neat it is. 

6. Extension
It is so interesting to take pictures of peoples beds, because it is so intimate. It would be very interesting to push this even further and go past 10 beds and see how many different ones I could capture.




1. Composition

A. Amount of subject: In this photograph, I decided to only show part of the main subject, which is the beer bottle. I decided to do this because I thought that you could see a narrative or story from what is shown, and that it was more or just as effective then showing the whole bottle. Also, by showing only part of the bottle, you can juxtapose it against the other components in the photograph effectively.  
B. Orientation: I decided to use a landscape orientation to show more of the aspects of the bathroom sink/environment to help tell a narrative. If it was portrait, then not as much information would have been revealed. 
C. Lighting: I wanted to keep the lighting less dramatic, because I thought it might take away from the narrative. I wanted the subjects to tell a story, and I wanted to keep the lighting natural -- like it would be during an everyday encounter. 

 2. Concept, Motivations, Method 
In creating this image, I wanted to tell a narrative about an everyday place, in this case, in the eyes of an alcoholic or some one with a drinking problem. It tells a story of what happened the night before, and makes the viewer wondered what happened. This is a personal issue for me because I am dealing with a very close family member who is an alcoholic. This image portrays a narrative -- what most people see as a wild and crazy night -- but in a sad way, can also be part of an everyday routine, in an everyday place.
3. Context
This image deals with personal issues and psychology. I am hoping to convey the routine aspect of alcoholism. I think maybe in this one it may be a little more playful then I intended, but I want to use this as a jumping off series to maybe tell a broader story. 

4. Interpretation
Students in the class saw this photograph as both a part of a daily routine, which I was going for, and more of a college/party narrative.

5. Evaluation
This photograph turned out a little more playful/humorous then I intended it to. I still think the narrative is going down the right road, and I like the placement of the bottle. So if I did this again I would try and make it a little more serious, maybe authentic.

6. Extension
I want to do a series of authentic and real experiences concerning alcoholism. I want to continue with the narrative aspect and deal with alcoholism through photograph.




1. Composition

A. Proximity to subject: In this photograph, I wanted to be zoomed out from the landscape in order to capture more of the environment and scale to show the beauty of the different textures and growth.
B. Sharpness and blur: I wanted to keep the whole composition in focus to emphasize the landscape and environment, as well as the different textures and types of growth -- rocks, water, plants.
C. Contrast: In this image, there was very high contrast due to the midday lighting. I wanted to emphasize this in the brightness of the moving water against the smoothness of the other section of the water, as well as the light on the rocks. 

 2. Concept, Motivations, Method
 For this photograph, I wanted to explore a place that I have never been. On my way home, I stopped in Williamston at this river. It was so beautiful, so I wanted to highlight the beauty of this unexplored place (for me) by emphasizing the natural environment and contrast.

3. Context
This image deals with nature and appreciating its beauty. In this time, I think nature needs advocates and needs to be appreciated because of all of the industrial influences. This is my way of appreciating nature, by exploring and documenting places that I encounter and have never been.

4. Interpretation
Students in the class like this picture for the contrast and the picturesque scene. They liked the lighting and texture, because in some places the water and rocks blend together and may be undistinguishable. 

5. Evaluation
I like this photograph a lot. I was a little upset because of the way it printed, so if I would probably go back and reprint it in black in white.

6. Extension
It would be fun to do a series on rivers or bodies of water in Michigan -- kind of like the bed project - a typography of Michigan water! 


No comments:

Post a Comment