Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Final project -- final images
























1. Composition
A. Amount of subject: For these photographs, I wanted to emphasize the alcohol bottles in the places that they were hidden.  I wanted to include the bottle in all of the photographs, but I did not have a certain idea of how much had to be in each one. I just wanted enough visible and present so that the narrative and idea would come across.  I wanted the viewer to be able to see the bottle and its surroundings together. 
B. Background elements: The subject is very important, but I also really relied on the background to provide context and part of the narrative. Therefore, it was important for me to capture the background effectively. 
C. Perspective and point of view: I worked from many different angles and perspectives to reflect the different hiding spots that the bottles were in. I thought that the different angles and perspectives would help to highlight the areas that the bottles were in and would help the viewer to understand the narrative and show the authenticity of the locations and the situation.

 2. Concept, Motivations, Method
In creating these images, I am conveying a narrative about alcoholism and how it penetrates all aspects of the alcoholic's life and others -- it is part of a daily routine.  I also am working through my own emotions and feelings in this project, so it is very revealing and personal. These images are actual places that the bottles were hidden in an attempt to hide the fact that the person was drinking. After much debate, I decided to keep these photographs in color because I think it helps to keep the authenticity, and helps my concept in that I am revealing my emotions to an audience and shining light on alcoholism, and how it effects others.
3. Context
This image deals with alcoholism and my own personal struggle and feelings dealing with the knowledge that someone very close to me is an alcoholic. I really want to document this because, I do not know why, but it helps me -- maybe it is a way for me to feel in control over the situation -- to find the bottles and see where they are hidden. Even though they are always empty when they are found, it confirms my belief that the person is drinking. And this is not because I want them to be drinking, but because the constant lying about it can at least be confronted. One of the things I have noticed the most, is that dealing with an alcoholic sometimes makes you feel like you are the crazy one -- should I believe that he says he is not drinking, should I look for bottles, etc. So finding proof that you are not crazy sometimes helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment