Monday, June 27, 2011

Assignment 5 -- final images






1. Composition
A. Amount of subject: For both of these photographs, I wanted to show the dogs and enough context so you could know what was going on. But the background was not the focus, the focus is on the subjects and a constructed identity for them. 
B. Sharpness and blur: I wanted to keep the subject in focus, and  there was not as much of an emphasis on the background, so it is not as sharp as the subjects. I did this to emphasize the subject and the activity going on with them. 
C. Contrast: I decided to make these photographs in black in white because I wanted more of a contrast. I think it turned out well with the top picture, but it worked really well with the black and white of the bottom dogs fur and the computer.

 2. Concept, Motivations, Method
In creating this image, I wanted to explore and construct an identity for dogs. I love dogs so much and I am so interested in them, I started to wonder what parts of my life or things that I use I could incorporate into their daily activity. If they had a choice, would they wear sunglasses? Would they go on the computer? Not only is it interesting, but it is kind of funny to see them engaging in "human" activities.

3. Context
This image deals with animal and human interaction -- the things that we as humans project onto dogs -- like feelings, behaviors, and even apparel. I was inspired by all of the dogs I always see wearing clothes. I always wonder if they had a choice, would they put that on?

4. Interpretation
Students in the class interpreted it as a constructed identity for a dog, and that the dog was participated in "human" activities.

5. Evaluation
I like them both, but I think the second one in the series may have been more successful. I think this is true because maybe the dog is doing something funny or unexpected. Students did not have as much of a reaction to the top one, maybe because seeing a dog in sunglasses is not as unexpected as a dog on a computer.

6. Extension
I would love to do an extension on this project with different dogs and play off of their personalities. People in the class suggested an extension off of the dog and the computer -- maybe dogs interacting with different technologies. I think not only is it interesting to see dogs in human clothes or doing human activities, but it also playful and makes them seem even more unique and cute for what they are -- so loving and trusting -- doing whatever to please!




1. Composition
A. Amount of subject: For this photograph, the emphasis is on the face of the dog. But I also thought that the body language was important, and I wanted to show as much of the dog as I could. I wanted to include the location, because that tells part of the story.
B. Lighting: The lighting turned out really well and I like the way that dog is well lighted against a darker background. It makes him stand out and emphasizes his facial expression and his innocence.
C. Contrast: The same as the dog on the computer, I really love the contrast in this one in the dog himself -- between the black and white parts of his fur. Also I wanted to keep this in color because of the color of his eyes kind of stood out against the white and black.

 2. Concept, Motivations, Method
For this photograph, I wanted to tell a story and convey the dogs emotions after a traumatizing event -- being neutered. I wanted to capture what he was thinking and the authenticity of the moment.

3. Context
This image deals with dogs and psychology, again. But I think more so then any other project, this deals with the trust that dogs put into people. This dog is a rescue dog -- he was abused and abandoned -- but he is the most loving dog ever.  He trusts his owner and loves him, and did not really have a choice about getting neutered. So I wanted to capture his emotions, and I think it really shows his innocence and maybe how miserable he was feeling after the operation.

4. Interpretation
Students in the class liked this one because of the dogs expression -- the could recognize emotion -- and thought it was a good photograph to capture personality/emotion.

5. Evaluation
Based on critique, I think emotion was conveyed. I really like the way that this one turned out, I think it is one of the best dog pictures I have taken so far, even though I take so many because I am really interested in it!

6. Extension
It might be interesting to do a series on shelter dogs or dogs after they are adopted to see a different perspective.




1. Composition
A. Proximity to subject: For this photograph, I wanted to get really close to the subject, becuase it is a small toy. But I also did want to get too close and only include the figure -- so I left enough space so that the viewer could easily see the figure and his creation. 
B. Background elements: Because the focus was on the figure and what he was drawing, I did not really want to include a lot of background information. There is enough context to see that he is drawing on cement with chalk -- I did not think that the exact location was important. 
C. Contrast: I decided to keep this photograph in color because color was such a key aspect of the photograph and the concept. The bright colors contrast against the figure and the cement and provide visual interest and context.

 2. Concept, Motivations, Method
In creating this image, I wanted to set up a narrative scene with toys and play around with different possibilities. I thought it would be interesting to explore a toy creating something and I went along with the Star Wars theme. It is playful and kind of inspiring to see the toy creating something new!

3. Context
This image deals kind of with popular culture and maybe childhood. Star Wars is a very popular movie and has a lot of marketing that goes along with it. I remember when I was a kid, children were interested in Star Wars, and they still are today. So it kind of reminded me of a child playing around outside and drawing and creating something out of their mind. It is also kind of humorous in terms of scale -- the figure creating a drawing much bigger then himself, depicting another character from the movie.

4. Interpretation
Students in the class liked this image a lot. I think what was successful was the playfulness and the creativity, and maybe the energy that is given to the toy.

5. Evaluation
I like the way that this one turned out a lot. I think if I went back, I would do more of these because this one was so successful.

6. Extension
It would be interesting to do a series of Star Wars toys and to see what they would create if given the chance, or even to just explore the idea of a toy creating something -- sometimes larger then themselves.




1. Composition
A. Framing: For this photograph, I wanted to find a unique way of photographing the collage made out of chalk. I took a lot of pictures from above and the side, and wanted to try something different. So I put the camera directly on the ground and took the picture.
B. Background elements: A large part of the focus is on the chalk and the colors/washes that it creates, so I did not want the background to be in focus, because it creates one more color/layer to the photograph. Also the texture is emphasized in the small strip that is in focus, so that the viewer can tell what the material is.
C. Contrast: I really think that the colors contrast each other in a good way. I increased the vibrance in this photograph so that the colors would really pop and it would be more interesting.

 2. Concept, Motivations, Method
For this photograph, I wanted to capture my sister creating something. She decided to draw a collage on the sidewalk with chalk. I loved the colors that she used, so I really wanted to emphasize color and the individual image that she created. I think it portrays a sense of playfulness, creation, and summer.

3. Context
This image deals with a compilation of ideas and thoughts that were turned into a work of art. It deals with color, texture, and composition. I also think it is psychological, because it was one more way for me to bond/spend more time with my sister before she has to leave for California.

4. Interpretation
Students in the class really liked the color and the washes that were created because of the focus, but also the fact that they could tell it was chalk because of the one strip that was in focus. They also thought it was an interesting angle.

5. Evaluation
I like this photograph a lot. If I had to redo it, I might try to have more sections that were in focus, for more texture and detail. But at the same time, I really like how it is almost abstracted and you can only tell what it is because of the one little hint/spot in focus.

6. Extension
It would be neat to explore and go around and find chalk art or works of art and try to photograph them from angles that abstract them, and include only hints of texture of detail of what they really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment