Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Assignment 2 -- Final Images

Contemporary Photographer Recreation
Andy Warhol, artist, New York, August 20th, 1969, Richard Avedon




1. Composition
 A. Cropping: In this photograph, I cropped out the background so that the viewer could focus on the body, scar, and dramatic posing. I did not include the top or bottom of the body, to emphasize the middle part of the body, as in the original. This viewpoint conveys the pain and healing (as noticed in the scar), and is an intimate aspect of an individual. The framing of this photograph is very straightforward without any angles. I like the way this turned out, but I also wanted to explore how the scar would look from different angles.  So I took some more from varied angles and really liked the picture below, also.  
 B. Contrast: There is high contrast in this photograph, because I wanted to emphasize the body against the black clothing. The body is light and is usually hidden, while the clothing is dark and covers and hides what is below. I thought it was also important to capture the shadows that are present, in the hand, near the pants, and on the stomach. Also, the higher contrast made my eye focus more on the scar. 
C. Focus: The subject is in focus, because all components of this photograph are important.  As in the original, it was important to have clarity.  Not only is this important so that the scar is visible, but it is also important to reflect the importance of the posing and to feel the emotion of the subject. 

 2. Concept, Motivations, Method
In creating this image, I hoped to create a successful portrait of a person I know very well and love very much. I wanted to capture an intimate part of who he is, and I think by photographing his scar, it does so in a way that is mysterious -- because not everyone who looks at the photograph knows what happened to him in order for him to have the scar. Also, I saw Richard Avedon's photograph of Andy Warhol and knew right away that I wanted to create a recreation. It is very revealing, because sometimes he is embarrassed or shy about showing his scar. In order to create the image, my boyfriend posed for the camera and exposed his scar. 

3. Context
This image deals with feelings of intimacy, mystery, and character.  It reveals something about a person that you cannot see by just looking at them -- he has to reveal it. I was inspired by Richard Avedon, who is able to capture the personality of the people in his portraits.

4. Interpretation
Students in the class interpreted this image as a comment on sexuality or gender, rather then vulnerability or personality, which I was trying to emphasize. 

5. Evaluation
Based on critique, some people understood that it was a recreation of an image and it was about vulnerability and personality, but I would need to change the positioning of the hands and maybe the clothing to convey more of what I was trying to portray. 

6. Extension
It would be very interesting to do a series of scars or injuries and how they are part of a person's character and personality. I could also pursue other aspects of vulnerability and close relationships. 









1. Composition
A. Amount of subject: In this photograph, I decided to not show any of the subject's real body. Instead, I decided to capture his personality and create a portrait by his shadow. I included his shadow, but I also decided to include the trombone in the picture, because it is very important to him. I wanted to capture most of the shadow to emphasize his positioning and what he was doing. 
B.  Distracting elements: I decided to include everything in the frame because I thought everything was important. Originally I was just going to capture his shadow, but then I decided it might be interesting to include the trombone itself, as well. To me it creates a kind of playfulness -- not only because we see what he is interested in, but also because when I first looked at it, it almost seems as if the trombone itself is casting the shadow of a person and a trombone. The shadow of the subject is important, and I think the other shadow included is too, because it kind of creates a frame within a frame for the subject. Also, it kind of is a double portrait, because not only is the personality of the subject captured, but the photographer can be viewed in the reflection of the trombone, as well. 
C. Contrast: There is heavy contrast in this photograph, mostly due to the harsh outside lighting during the middle of the day. I think this was great, because it caused a dark cast shadow, as well as a bright pavement background, and a reflecting and shiny light coming from the trombone.

2. Concept, Motivations, Method
In this photograph, my main goal was to capture a part of the subjects personality through the use of his shadow and an object that is important to him. I wanted to create a portrait that is not directly of the subject, but reveals something about him. Through this image we can see that the subject is interested in music, specifically the trombone. In order to create this image, my boyfriend and I went outside during the day, and I took a photograph of his shadow from different angles and when the sun was at different positions in the sky. 

3. Context
This image deals with psychology and determination.  As a musician, it takes a lot of dedication to play an instrument.  My boyfriend is a music teacher, and it not only conveys the passion he has for music, but also the passion and dedication he relays and inspires in others. Once again, I was referencing Richard Avedon, in that I was trying to convey a part of his personality by capturing an intimate part of his life. 

4. Interpretation
This photograph was interpreted as a portrait through the use of a shadow, and the subjects love and interest in music was recognized. 

5. Evaluation
Based on critique, this photograph was successful because of the strong shadow, his interests were recognized, and someone commented on the fact that it not only captures the portrait of the subject, but also reflects the outside world in the trombone. 

6. Extension
It would be interesting to shoot a series of portraits through shadows, or even just interesting shadows. Not necessarily of people, although that would be great to photograph different people and their shadow. But also it would be neat to capture interesting shadows that are encountered by chance. 







1. Composition
A. Photographer's proximity to subject: I placed the camera close to the subject, but not so close that it would interfere with her activities. I placed myself in the kitchen, because that is where she was doing most of her work. I wanted to be close enough that I could capture her, but far enough away that I could still capture motion and the background -- because where she is is a very important part of this photograph. 
B. Background elements: The main subject is my mother, but the background is also an important component of this photograph because it tells us a lot about the subject. She is in the kitchen of her house, a place where she likes to be, because she really likes to cook and bake. It tells about her personality and her activities, which is what I wanted to capture in this portrait. They are blurred, but they are still recognizable.
C. Focus: The subject and the background are not in focus. I used a slow shutter speed because I wanted to capture her movement and wanted to convey how busy she is and all of the activity she is doing.

2. Concept, Motivations, Method
In creating this image, I really wanted to portray aspects of my mothers personality in an intimate setting. It is revealing, too, even thought it may not be evident to the viewer. It is very personal, so I wanted the viewer to see her in the kitchen and maybe wonder why she is captured in the kitchen, but not necessarily know every detail about it. My dad is not well right now, and my mom has to do everything and is very stressed. The kitchen is one place that she used to be able to relax in, because she likes to cook very much. I wanted to capture her in this location, because sometimes I think maybe it helps take her mind off of things. 

3. Context
This image deals with stress and trying to find ways to relax.  It deals with childhood memories and associations of what I call/used to call home. In this image, I am hoping to convey an aspect of my mothers personality and I am trying to create an effective portrait using the background and place as an important part. I was influenced by impressionists, I was interested in capturing a specific moment in time and the effects of light and movement. 

4. Interpretation
Students in class interpreted this as a comment on how the kitchen is the busies part of the house, a natural spot for congregation, and saw the movement and activity in this photograph. 

5. Evaluation
I think this piece is successful because I was trying to convey a sense of activity and movement in this photograph, and it was recognized. I think to make it even more successful I could somehow have more contrast but maybe have some details be more prominent, if possible.

6. Extension
I could see shooting a series of photographs of people doing what they love the most, or in very busy places to capture a sense of movement in their everyday activities. 



No comments:

Post a Comment