Thursday, June 16, 2011

Assignment 4 -- final images



1. Composition
A. Framing: In the frame, I decided to include only one of the video game players, to emphasize and capture the amount of focus on the video game. You can see his concentration and attention focused on the TV screen from where he is looking. I wanted to include his hand and the controller for context and because the movement of his thumb speaks a lot about his actions. 
B. Background elements: I did not include much in the background, except you can tell he is sitting on the couch and you can see the windows. I thought the windows and the light coming from them was important, because it is almost as if the brightness is beckoning him outside because it is a nice day, but he is so focused on the video games that he does not notice.
C. Contrast: The contrast between the light coming in from outside and the darkness of the subject's shirt and controller are important. I wanted to highlight this contrast because it shows the concept of the photograph in the nature vs. technology aspect.

 2. Concept, Motivations, Method
In creating this image, I wanted to comment on video games. I am not totally against video games, but like I captured in the photograph, I think it is amazing how quickly video games can become an obsession or main focus. When my boyfriend is playing with his friends, he is so focused and gets mad at the video games. I always wonder if that stress/attention would be better placed in other areas. Plus, when they are playing video games, I always wish we could be doing something together outside. But at the same time, it is something that he likes to do and maybe is an escape from everyday preoccupations. I think we all can relate to video games -- most people have either played them or know someone who does. His stare and focus at the TV shows how much our culture values video games and TV as entertainment. For this photograph, I took a picture of boyfriend playing Halo with his friend.

3. Context
This image deals with popular culture and what is popular/valued. Video games are very popular and mainstream because of their entertainment value, even though they are very violent and do not promote physical activity (at least what they were playing -- Halo). In this photograph, I was hoping to convey the focus and energy that is devoted to video games.

4. Interpretation
Students in the class interpreted this image as a comment on popular culture/video games. Someone mentioned the shirt that the subject is wearing, which I did not mention above, but adds to the photograph/concept.

5. Evaluation
I think the concept of this photograph was conveyed well. However, the image turned out darker then I expected it to, so I would change the contrast or darkness of the photograph. 

6. Extension
It would be interesting to do a series of photographs of people of all ages playing video games and their different reactions and behaviors. 





1. Composition
A. Proximity to subject: In both of these photographs, I wanted to capture the subjects very close up to emphasize their texture and details. 
B. Background elements: For these photographs, I wanted the main focus to be the aspects of cooking and baking. So in the red velvet picture, I did not include any background elements, only the cupcake pan and its contents. In the mixer/frosting picture, I really wanted to emphasize the texture and detail of the frosting on the mixer, but thought that the whole machine in the background maybe helped to create context. 
C. Perspective and point of view: For both of these, I wanted the perspective and point of view to be that of someone who is involved in the process, there baking, so that they are more inviting and detailed. It is as if someone has just finished putting the batter in these cupcakes and is about to put them in the oven, or just pulled the mixer out of the bowl and is about to lick them!

 2. Concept, Motivations, Method
In creating this image, I wanted to try food photography. I think these are kind of generic images, so that they could be used for stock photography maybe for a cooking book. But they also could be advertisements because of the way that they capture the texture and color of the red velvet mix and cream cheese frosting. I watch a lot of the food network on TV, and it is amazing to me how much work goes into photographing food and getting every detail right. At the same time, I think it is crazy how as Americans, we are able to be so picky about our food. We get to choose what we have for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and then a lot of extra food goes to waste. In some places, people are lucky to get a small amount of food in one day. Also, in our own country we have so many people in need. I do not think this is captured in my photographs -- it is just something I thought about. To take this photograph, I took pictures while making a mix of red velvet cupcakes and then the frosting.

3. Context
This image deals with popular culture and food photography -- stock images and advertising. I am hoping to make these desserts look appetizing from their texture, detail, and color. I was also thinking about how food is such a large part of our culture and how much our ability to choose food and make whatever we want to is valued.

4. Interpretation
Students in the class saw these as advertisements and really liked the texture and detail that was captured in the images. Someone one wanted said they felt like they wanted to lick the mixer! Also, the composition of these two were strong -- the repetition of the cupcakes, and the way that the mixer extends out toward the viewer in the frosting photograph.

5. Evaluation
I like these images a lot. They were very fun to photograph, and I feel that they are successful as advertisements or stock images. The colors turned out way better then I expected them to. 

6. Extension
It would be a lot of fun and interesting to photograph different kinds of food. I know there is food photography, and it sounds like it can be hard in the ways they keep the food looking good for texture. I would like to photograph food for advertisements or cook books. 




1. Composition
A. Framing: In this photograph, I wanted to emphasize the newborn baby, Easton. I did not include a lot of background elements, beside his mother holding him, because I wanted to focus on him.
B. Sharpeness and blur: I wanted to keep the subject in focus to highlight him and capture the details of a newborn baby. I wanted to keep him in focus, because he was the focus -- he had a lot of visitors and was getting a lot of attention!
C. Lighting: I had to use the flash in this photograph, because the hospital room did not have a lot of light. So there is some contrast between Easton and the darker background. I thought this was fitting, because it is almost as if there is a spotlight shining on him. 

 2. Concept, Motivations, Method
In creating this image, I wanted to capture a special family moment as well as a snapshot. It was hard for me to get close to him or spend a lot of time around him, because there were a lot of family members and friends there to visit him after he was born, and not a lot of time. So I did not have an opportunity to set up a perfect shot, I had one chance to get a good picture of the baby. I was able to get a lot of pictures of my friend and the baby, but only one of just him! I wanted to convey the emotion of a newborn baby -- the happiness, the excitement -- and the feeling of meeting a new person. I was so nervous because she is my first friend to have a baby, and I have not had much experience with this process, and hospitals make me very nervous. So we were all on edge and waiting, and so when we finally had the chance to see him, it was amazing! I do not know if I can describe it, but it feels so weird and awesome at the same time. He is perfect!

3. Context
This image deals with popular culture -- in that it is a snapshot of a special family moment that records this moment forever, but is also a snapshot that could be uploaded on facebook to share that moment. I is a valued thing in our culture, as so birth is a large part of our culture. There are so many social and cultural traditions surrounding it. It also deals with friendship and experiences, and intimacy. I was glad I was able to be there with/for my friend at this very exciting time! It is something I will never forget.

4. Interpretation
I think students in the class interpreted this image as capturing a family moment, but not the snapshot aspect of it.
5. Evaluation
I think that in order to capture the snapshot angle, I would need to include others in the photograph to convey the energy and attention that was given to Easton. I was not the only one in the room and it was hard to photograph him up close, so I think that should have been included. 

6. Extension
It would be interesting to do a series where I would photograph Easton as he was growing up, and to try and use the feel of a snapshot to capture his childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment